Friday, October 10, 2008

Lifelong Learning

Having just watched the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners, I'm not sure I agree that habit 1 should be "begin with the end in mind". I'm a very creative person, continually learning, but the learning journey is as important to me as reaching a specific learning goal. I like to get sidetracked and see where serendipity takes me, learning all along the way -- things I wouldn't have set out to learn. If I'm beginning with the end in mind, I'm working on solving a specific problem or overcoming a specific challenge; I may learn along the way, but learning is just one tool used to get to the end result.

The easiest of the habits for me are play, accepting responsibility for my own learning, and teaching or mentoring others. And I do have confidence in myself as a competent, effective learner despite my learning digressions. I'm sure I will digress over these next several weeks of the Nebraska Learns 2.0 experience.

No comments: