Thursday, December 11, 2008

Technology -- a few thoughts

In thinking about technology, I decided to go back to the dictionary sitting on my office shelves. Webster's 9th Collegiate Dictionary defines technology as:

  • technical language
  • applied science
  • a scientific method of achieving a practical purpose
  • the totality of means employed to provide objects necessary for human sustenance and comfort

In looking at the definition, I see technology as a means to an end.

That goes along with the post-modern values described in yesterday's Urban Libraries Council audio-conference, Foresight 2020 -- that the emphasis is not on the technology itself, but rather if it enhances life. There's a disenchantment with science and technology during postmodernization, as the emphasis goes beyond the material to the existential.

I was traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday, and I did see citizen journalism come of age with the coverage of the terriorist attacks in Mumbai. People were able to make contact with their friends and loved ones using Facebook, and they were able to provide information through their cell phone cameras. Twittering offered comfort and on the spot information. But what if the terriorists had also been twittering -- would that not have put even more people in danger?

I want to use technology that will help me do what I need to do, better and more efficiently. I'm willing to try things, but they have to meet the test before I'll really adopt them. And as a post-modernite, I have more important things to do with my life than to spend my personal time wired/wireless/connected via the ether. At work, it's another matter, as I must meet the traditionalists and moderns in whatever space they inhabit.

Give me functionality, sustainability, appropriateness and simplicity in my technology.

No comments: