Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing 25 Assignment 1 Google Maps


When I first started the assignment, I was suprised how many of the features I had tried previously, looking for hotels in Naples, vegetarian restaurants in Prague, and libraries and museums in Budapest. I decided to explore the coast of Tobago, the other island of Trinidad and Tobago, and a happy vacation spot of mine. The hardest part was to move and zoom to actually find the island off of a map. I discovered that if one zooms too far, one can bypass the landmarks that one is looking for. I was focused on looking for specific places I'd been. The satellite view worked well in conjunction with the map and terrain views. And there were some photos and a couple of videos available, along with a Wikipedia article. I then went to Phuket and tried the same things with the views, and tried some searching. And finally went back to the assignment and worked through each of the searches, watched the videos, and tried everything with my own part of Lincoln. Unfortunately the street views available for my part of town are only along a major street and show parks and fences.



On to the official assignment. I searched for "1445 K St. 68509" and found the Nebraska State Capitol. While I was able to zoom the satellite view to see cars, I could only tell if they were light, dark, or red. I decided to get directions to the capitol from Bennett Martin Library, and picked the "walking" option, which Google informed me is "in Beta" and may be missing sidewalks, etc. I did find out that I could walk down the street, but it told me I needed to turn on K Street, thus missing the 14th Street entrance.



I've been an avid map user from a very early age. I'm very comfortable with traditional map views and topographic views, as well as aerial views. What I would use would depend on the specific circumstance. Street view would probably be my last choice.



I further explored the exotic places listed in the assignment. Street view is no substitute for being there. I did find a pothole in a street near Osaka. I also checked traffic, and traffic was pretty heavy in Paris this afternoon. I didn't find a kangaroo, but I have pictures of kangaroos and koalas and dingos and Tasmanian devils from my own trip to Australia.




















No comments: