Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing 25 Assignment 3 Google Maps

I quite enjoyed working with Google maps. Probably the most important thing I learned was that the markers are not necessarily accurate, which I learned from searching my own library -- the marker was off by a couple of miles. Verify the information -- the time trusted reference technique. I claimed my library and was able to correct the information and move the marker.

I most liked being able to switch back and forth from the map, satellite and terrain views for the same area. The satellite view of my house showed my deck and yard, but not what was on the deck, so I couldn't date the satellite image.

For customers, I've used Google maps to get directions, show locations, and even traffic. The street views are great for people planning trips to locations where the street view is available. The personalized or customized maps with photos added to the markers are great for highlighting trips already taken. And now someone looking up my library can find the location and get the hours and website.

Like others without direct access to the library website server, I did not embed a map on the library's website or even link to one. But I can suggest maps that we can add, and possibly even create them.

Thanks for a memorable exercise.

No comments: