Thursday, January 22, 2009

End or Beginning

For much of the last 13 weeks, I didn't think that I would finish Nebraska Learns 2.0. But here it is a week early and this is my last post. I've learned quite a few things unexpectedly, including that my old online home computer will only let me blog in "edit html" rather than "compose"; now that I know, it's not really a problem.

I think I got as much or more out of the exercises where I was already a little bit familiar with the tools being examined. Having a purpose made the journey of exploration more memorable than just seeing somebody demo something at a conference or training session.

I'm taking away an exposure to a variety of 2.0 tools and a knowledge that as the tools change (soon we'll be having 3.0 symantic web tool), I'll be able to play with them enough to make decisions as to appropriateness and usability for whatever my needs (and my customers' needs) are.

I also learned that my tolerance for different passwords is very low, so I really appreciate what I can do through a single Google account.

If I could do anything differently, I'd make sure that no week had three things to do -- that was a mental block for me (and many of the colleagues I've talked to). And I would do a self-paced program like this again.

As an actual result (and early on in Nebraska Learns 2.0), I did create a blog for my music library. I also recorded part of a podcast, which is now available. I will be using additional tools when they are the right tool.

And I will continue my lifelong voyage of exploration.

No comments: