Monday, January 12, 2009

Wiki wiki

Whose got the wiki?

Wikis can be used in any number of ways, as the examples indicated. They work best for collaborative documents or projects, which each participant can access and change as needed. Hacking is a potential problem, as the best practices wiki indicated, and even wikipedia has discovered. How open do you go?

My library uses several wikis. Some have been created to great fanfare and then quickly wither on the vine, as there may be better or quicker ways of dispersing the information to those involved. For the reference categorized list of websites, it does allow staff to have input as to new sites and to keep the dead links at a minimum, relieving the techies of some tasks.

I liked the book review wiki as a way of involving customers and staff -- with those prizes to encourage public participation.

I was involved with an international project that involved a wiki. Participation lagged. And the group is now looking for other ways to share the information, as the wiki really didn't fulfill its promise.

I'm not sold on wikis. Maybe I just don't like to share with the possibility of my work being changed or removed.

No comments: